Sure Smile Clear Aligner
Sure Smile Clear Aligners in Westport, MA
When you hear the word “orthodontics,” what comes to mind? Probably a young teenager whose teeth are covered by a latticework of metal. There are indeed many orthodontic patients who fit that description. However, there now exists an increasingly popular alternative to traditional metal braces: Sure Smile clear aligners.
As the name implies, clear aligners are made of almost invisible polyurethane plastic. Rather than being cemented or bonded to the teeth as metal or clear braces are, clear aligners are completely removable — for important social occasions, for eating, and, most importantly, for tooth-brushing and flossing. This advantage can also be a disadvantage: It means you must resist the temptation to take your aligners out more than is advised. Here are some other advantages of the Sure Smile clear aligners system:
- Improved Oral Hygiene — With an orthodontic appliance that is removable, you will be able to clean your teeth much more easily than if you were wearing metal braces.
- A Discreet Look — If you consider your orthodontic treatment a private matter or simply feel that metal braces don’t fit with your self-image, a practically invisible form of orthodontic treatment might suit you.
- More Dietary Choices — To protect metal wires and braces, some diet modifications are necessary. You can still bite into an apple or a crispy pizza crust with clear aligners.
- Comfort — The thin, flexible material of which clear aligners are made will not irritate the mouth’s soft tissues, as metal wires and braces can.
- Teeth-Grinding Protection — If you have a teeth-grinding or clenching habit, clear aligners can function as thin nightguards that will protect your teeth from excessive wear.
Clear aligner technology has been improving over the years and can correct many malocclusions that once would have been too complicated for this form of treatment. Yet there are still some situations for which traditional braces would still be best. This can be discussed in detail with you.
How Clear Aligners Work
Clear aligners work the same way traditional braces do: applying carefully controlled forces to teeth to move them into a better position. But they are not made of metal; instead, they are made of clear, flexible plastic.
Here’s how it works:
Specialized computer software designs a plan for moving your teeth from their current positions into the best possible alignment. This movement will be broken down into perhaps several dozen stages. For each stage, the Sure Smile clear aligners company will manufacture two plastic mouth “trays” or “aligners,” one to fit over your top teeth and one for the bottom. You will wear this first set of trays for two weeks, at least 20 hours per day. You will then move on to the next set of aligners in your series to accomplish the next stage of gradual movement. You will keep doing this until your teeth are correctly aligned.
In the past several years, two features have been added to make clear aligners a more appropriate orthodontic treatment method for teenagers. Particular “eruption tabs” hold the appropriate amount of space open for molars that have not fully grown in. Clear aligners for teens also come with “compliance indicators” built into the aligner material, which fade with wear. This allows parents, dentists, and the teens themselves to make sure the trays are being worn as prescribed. Treatment with clear aligners can only be successful if this is the case.
Caring for Your Teeth During Sure Smile Clear Aligners Treatment
As mentioned above, one of the main advantages of the Sure Smile clear aligners is that the trays can be removed for easy cleaning. So please don’t neglect to do this! You’ll need to brush your teeth after every meal or snack, so food and plaque do not get trapped in the aligners, which could promote tooth decay and gum disease. Your aligners will have to be cleaned regularly; you can do this by brushing them and then rinsing them with lukewarm water.
Also, please remember that while wearing clear aligners is very different from wearing braces, the importance of retaining your post-treatment results is the same. You’ll want to be sure to wear your retainer(s) exactly as prescribed after your treatment is completed to protect your investment in a beautiful new smile.